Simple Ways to Moisturize Itchy, Dry Skin
Dry skin also known as xerosis occurs when skin doesn’t retain sufficient moisture. Itchy skin can be caused by many things. skin infections like eczema, hives or contact dermatitis can really make your skin itch. Your skin is as important as your other organs, if you don’t take care of it, you may end up having problems. In trying to curb dry skin, the first step is usually to buy skin moisturizers which rehydrate the top layer of the skin cells and seal in moisture.
According to the National Eczema Association, “water is an effective way to put moisture back into the skin, but only if you use lukewarm water, avoid scrubbing and apply a moisturizer within three minutes after bathing or showering. If you don’t moisturize immediately, the moisture your skin needs will evaporate and may cause a rebound effect making the skin even more dry.”
- Using a moisturizer daily can make your skin glow and provide deep hydration. Apply moisturizer immediately after bathing or washing hands. This helps plug the spaces between your skin cells and seal in moisture while your skin is still damp.
- Check the clothing materials you wear, avoid wool and other fabrics that can irritate the skin, fabrics like cotton or silk are better options for you.
- Limit your bathing time to 5- 10minutes, if you bathe more than that, you may strip away much of the skin’s oily layer and cause it to lose moisture. Don’t use hot water; bathe instead with lukewarm water which will not wash away natural oils.
- Petroleum jelly is an excellent skin lubricant. According to Dermatologist Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD, petroleum jelly makes a good moisturizer. Director of cosmetic & clinical research Mount Sinai hospital, Joshua Zeichner confirms that “it forms a protective layer over the skin to protect and hydrate it. It can be particularly helpful with extreme dry skin or cracked open skin’.
- If you can afford a humidifier for your room to put moisture in the air during the dry season, your skin would look better.
It is important to know if the ingredients contained in the moisturizer you want to use is safe. When buying skin care products, read the label carefully to know exactly what it contains.
NATURAL INGREDIENTS THAT HELPS TO MOISTURIZE
- Aloe vera gel contains anti-inflammatory properties, this helps to relieve the itching sensation experienced with dry skin. Apply to skin, allow to dry for 10 – 12 minutes and then wash off with warm water.
- Oils – coconut, olive, castor, and baby oil – apply oil all over the body and massage for a minute or two. Through the massage, the oil will quickly get absorbed into the skin and not stain your clothes. These oils are very rich in Vitamin E, A, and fatty acids. They lock in moisture & supply the skin with essential nutrients for skin health.
- Organic Honey contains antioxidants which help to clean up the skin’s pores and restore dull skin to its natural glow. It penetrates the deeper layers of the skin to moisturize it.
- Shea Butter works as a skin conditioning agent, like petroleum jelly it also forms a barrier on the skin’s surface which reduces loss of water and keeps your skin hydrated. Lots of skincare products include shea butter as an ingredient, but it tends to be highly processed, so to enjoy its full benefits, raw shea butter is the way to go.
Improve your skin type by trying out these tips and remedies; include them in your daily skin care routine for a soft glowing skin. It’s not too late to work on that dull, dry and unhealthy skin, begin today. Follow us @tempovatenigeria on Instagram and Facebook for more information, subscribe to our YouTube channel @TempovateNigeria.
Importance of Skincare
Taking care of your skin is essential for reasons other than appearance.
Best Ways to Take Care of Your Skin
Have you ever encountered someone whose skin seemed to be glowing? No, you didn’t imagine it, skin glows when it is taken good care of.
5 Skincare Habits for Great Skin
Good skincare habits help us get and maintain healthy, glowing, younger-looking skin.